Q: What do witches put on their bagels? A: Scream cheese.
Q: What do zombies call kids on skateboards? A: Meals On Wheels.
Q: What do sea monsters eat for lunch? A: Fish and ships.
Q: What do any of the above cheesy Halloween jokes have to do with this fantastic dish? A: Well, nothing really. I just felt like beginning this post with some silly seasonal humor.
Nothing silly about this autumn dish, however. All the ingredients blend beautifully. This salad screams Fall. With that being said, my favorite produce season is now. All the various squash, greens, apples, and spices are so very tasty and versatile … just an abundance of ways to use them deliciously together. Delicata squash, honeycrisp apple, kale, roasted pumpkin seeds, and goat cheese with the homemade maple tahini dressing, provide quite the seasonal canvas to work with. I’ve used this dressing on various other salads as well, and it’s divine. Obviously simple & spooktacularly delicious! Enjoy.
- 1 large bunch of lacinato kale, stems removed & chopped (4-6 cups)
- 1 delicata squash
- ⅓ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 honeycrisp apple, sliced
- Soft goat cheese, 2 ounces
- Salmon, 2 6ounce pieces
- ¼ tsp dried dill
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ tsp salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut delicata squash in half, remove seeds, then slice into ½ inch moons. Place on one of the prepared baking sheets. Toss with 2 tsp olive oil, salt & pepper, and spread out evenly in a single layer – being sure to leave room between each piece. Roast at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, tossing half way through.
- Place salmon on the other prepared baking sheet. Season with 2 tsp olive oil, salt & pepper, ¼ tsp dried dill, and juice from ½ lemon. Roast at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- While the squash and salmon are roasting, prepare the kale and salad dressing. Add chopped kale to a large bowl. Toss with 2 tsp olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Massage kale with your fingers for 1-2 minutes. Make sure not to skip or forget the massage process – very important! Set aside.
- Prepare the salad dressing: Add tahini and water to a jar. Mix well until smooth. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt & pepper if needed. You can thin the salad dressing out with 1 tsp of water at a time if desired.
- Toss pumpkin seeds with ½ tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toast in a skillet over medium heat for 4 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Time to combine the salad. Toss half of the salad dressing with the bowl of kale. Add the sliced apples, delicata squash, pumpkin seeds, and ghost cheese. Divide between 2 bowls, and top each bowl with 6 ounces of salmon while drizzling with extra salad dressing.
Servings: 2 Entrée Salads