I made this incredibly healthy and delicious chicken for a taco dinner. Obviously this salsa chicken can be used for a multitude of different dishes, not just tacos. Obviously your kitchen will smell great when this chicken is cooking. And, obviously it’s simple and easy to make. (It is a crock pot recipe, after all.)
Five minutes and a few simple ingredients is all you need to get this delicious chicken simmering away. My favorite, and the most obvious, uses for this salsa chicken are as follows. (1) Set up a “make your own” taco bar. (2) Dive into a delicious burrito bowl. (3) Make a super duper healthy taco salad.
(1) If making tacos, simply serve with your favorite traditional taco fixings and tortillas.
(2) If making a burrito or burrito bowl, whip up some cilantro lime rice, homemade black beans (recipe below), cabbage slaw (recipe below), pico de gallo, and guacamole. Add some sour cream and fresh cilantro and you’ve got perfection! If you don’t like cabbage, substitute shredded lettuce. Add cheese if you please, and be sure to remember the tortilla chips for scooping the burrito bowl.
(3) A super duper healthy taco salad requires shredded lettuce, fresh cilantro, pico de gallo, roasted corn, red bell pepper, fresh avocado, a squeeze of lime juice, and a mound of salsa chicken to top it off. (Hot sauce optional…or in my case, mandatory!)
Options galore. Enjoy crock pot salsa chicken any way you choose.
- 16 oz jar medium salsa
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, and finely diced (use the whole jalapeno if you like it spicy)
- 1 oz (2 tbsp) taco seasoning, homemade or store bought
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 lbs chicken (breasts, thighs, or a combo)
Combine salsa, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, taco seasoning, and lime juice in the bowl of your crock pot. Stir to combine. Add chicken. Stir to coat chicken. Cook on High for 4 hours, or Low for 6 hours. Chicken will be falling apart. Turn crock pot off and shred chicken in cooking liquid. Serve chicken in tacos, in burritos/burrito bowl, or on a taco salad.
Note: Makes wonderful leftovers, and will last for several days in your refrigerator in an airtight container.
Recipe for Cabbage Slaw: Combine 3 cups shredded red cabbage, 2 chopped green onions, 1 tbsp apple cider or red wine vinegar, 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Recipe for Black Beans: Soak 1 lb dry black beans in 6 cups of water for 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans and rinse beans well. Add beans and enough water to cover the beans, plus another inch or 2 to a large pot. Bring to a boil for 15 minutes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender (1-2 hours typically). Check beans after 1 hour. My beans took an hour and a half to fully cook. When making black beans to compliment your salsa chicken, toss cooked beans with lime juice, salt, and pepper, or use your cooked beans to make this recipe. You can also use drained and rinsed canned black beans. Note: I like to freeze cooked and cooled beans in 1 3/4 cup increments (equivalent to a 15 ounce can) to be used in future recipes. Note to self: I should write an entire post on preparing beans from a dry state. I have so much to share with you. This takes a little bit of time, but it’s a much healthier option. Plus, it’s much less expensive than using canned beans.
2 thoughts on “Crock Pot Salsa Chicken”
yum! I love this sort of food – can’t wait to try!