I have to give you an excuse for going over a month between blog posts. Would you believe I spent the last month in French Polynesia, retracing the last years of impressionist painter Paul Gauguin? I wouldn’t either. (I’ll save that for next year.)
How about the fact that my good friend, chef Mario Batali, and I finally fulfilled our mutual dream of culinarily sailing the entire Great Lakes. We only ate the fish we caught. We prepared and cooked it all on our 35 foot Catalina sailboat. Never came in to port for a month. You buy that excuse? (At least that one was regional.)
Or, maybe … just maybe, I got engaged. Yup. That one’s actually true!
Between the many celebrations, and an actual work conference (my blog isn’t my “job” … yet), my time for posting was a bit gobbled up. Fear not, my friends. I’m back in the kitchen. Excelsior!
Onward and upward, indeed, with this dish. My, oh my! Asparagus, hard boiled egg, and bacon … a match made in heaven. (See what I did there? He, he. I couldn’t resist.) When tossed with a Dijon vinaigrette, this heavenly match becomes even more divine.
When asparagus is in season, buy fresh from the market and use within a day or two. When asparagus is not in season, easily substitute green beans. I typically keep hard boiled eggs on hand for an easy grab and go snack. Thus, this salad comes together in a jiffy. The minimal ingredient list makes this recipe inexpensive to put together. A low carb, high protein, gluten-free breakfast / lunch for two. Cooking for two just got a whole lot easier and a whole lot more meaningful 😉
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends discarded and cut on a bias into bite size pieces (substitute green beans in off season)
- 2-4 hard boiled eggs (how to cook hard boiled eggs), sliced into thirds and seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and drain on a paper towel. Once cooled, crumble into small pieces.
- Discard all but 1 tbsp of bacon grease from skillet. Return skillet to medium heat and add asparagus. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until tender.
- Prepare vinaigrette by whisking together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Divide the asparagus onto 2 plates. Top each plate with equal amounts of crumbled bacon and hard boiled egg slices. Drizzle with dressing and serve.