This is the perfect Super Bowl appetizer! That’s right, I typed “Super Bowl,” instead of rephrasing it to “the big game.” I doubt I’ll be facing any lawsuits for it … I hope.
Mushroom caps call out to be stuffed with tasty cheesy goodness. Just look at ’em and tell me I’m wrong. See … I told ya!
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms combine all of my favorite things about pizza, minus the crust. It’s another way to leave out the starch, while leaving in all the flavor. Sauce, cheese (LOTS of cheese), pepperoni, veggies, garlic, fresh basil … all stuffed into a bite-sized little package. These stuffed mushrooms are extremely versatile. I wouldn’t dare post a Super Bowl recipe lacking one my favorite characteristics … versatility! (Plus, I wanted to type the words Super Bowl again.) Add sausage instead of pepperoni, or leave the meat out all together to make ’em vegetarian. You will eat these by the dozen, so make a ton.
I’ll be wiping these up for game day this weekend. Who wants to come over?
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 40 whole Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian herb blend (or ½ tsp dried oregano)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, finely diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, finely diced
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Additional filling options: use 1/2 cup crumbled sausage instead of pepperoni, or an additional 1/2 cup fresh veggies to make vegetarian
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (for easy clean up, optional) and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside and reserve.
Wipe mushrooms with a damp paper towel to get rid of any dirt and remove stems. The stems should easily pop out. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, dried Italian herbs, garlic, fresh basil, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Stir until well incorporated. Stir in pepperoni, green bell pepper, red onion, and black olives.
Set up an assembly line with the prepared mushroom caps, marinara sauce, cheese filling, and remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Stuff each mushroom cap with 1/2 tsp marinara sauce, 1/2 tbsp cheese filling, and 1/2 tsp mozzarella cheese (in this order). Note: These measurements are for small-medium mushroom caps; adjust amounts if you have larger mushrooms.
Place mushrooms on the reserved baking sheet, and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve hot straight from the oven.
Yields: 40 stuffed mushrooms
Note: Recipe can easily be halved or doubled.